Wednesday, December 3, 2008

2008 Cross Season Recap

Although many of my team mates and friends are racing this weekend and at Nationals, I ended up retiring for the season after the BRC Lowell race.

I started off the season in the heat of the August sun at Blunt Park. Earlier in the spring, I designed my season so that I would be in super form for the warmer earlier races, peak around Canton, and slowly roll into retirement by late November. The season played out just like that, but I would have to say that it was a bit disappointing to get slower as the season went on while the other guys were all getting faster. But then again, it was cool to put the hammah down on some of the earlier races.

I had several goals for the season.

1) Do not get injured: No injuries this season, but I had to be extra careful with my knee which was super sensitive all season. I had to limit racing to one a weekend so I would not irritate it too much.

2) Top 15 at Suckerbrook: My only regret was that I did not sprint with James Morrison at the end for 13th place. I tested out the FMB File tread's on this course for the first time and I was extremely impressed. A year ago, I was 30th or something, so this was a big jump for me.

3) Top 50 at Gloucester: I did not accomplish this goal, but I blame this on the race being too fast and too dusty.

4) Top 15 at Canton: I was on track to getting this one done until I flatted my Tubby and also crashed and got my white skinsuit dirty. But what was super cool is to have Mattison, PVB, and others pitting for me. Those guys are very propro.

5) Do the NoHo races: These fabled races have been hyped up for years. I thought that they were just okay. There were so many roots that I was like WTF? I know that many will say just toughen up, but I hate roots no cross courses.

6) Do not race like an asshole: This is important to me. I hate it when dudes act super aggressive in a big race and take big risks. It accomplishes nothing, and it is dangerous.

7) Be a good team mate: I learned how to be a good teammate by watching and learning from Hup Chip. That is the coolest guy on the planet, and is the best team mate ever.

Awards:

1) Most improved rider: Cort Cramer. So many times on the first lap, Cort has come by to give me a quick word of encouragement. He has done something quite special in his training programme this season. He is absolutely flying this year.

2) Best looking bike logo font: THE MANTIS!!!!!

3) This is a double category since the winner is the same. Best pick up line used by a cyclist:
"Hey Ladies, where is the other half?",
"WHAT?",
"Wait aren't you girls the girls from the Hot Tub?"
"No (Said in the most egregious tone)"

Part 2: The most tytest cyclist on the east coast cyclocross circuit: The Kyler.
Definition of Tyte: Often times in life, we come accross words that embody such awe inspiring Tyteness that it cannot be put into words. I guess the closest you can come is if you imagine squeezing Cipollini's chamois after a 7 hour race. Chemical analysis will reveal that the liquid investigated will be equal parts Pure unfiltered testostorone, Cologne, and Sweat. Now that is tyte.


4) Best Course: Lowell. The forest of Lowellenberg sent many $1,000+ carbon wheelsets to meet its maker. What a great course...

5) Pimpest cross bike: Chip Baker's Full Custom Sycip. I need pictures.

9 comments:

RMM said...

Items on which I concur:

1. Hup Chip is awesome. He gave me some toe spikes at Amesbury so that I could run up that slick quarterpipe and I am not even on HUP.

2. Cort Cramer, one hell of a season.

3. You need to toughen up. Gain more weight and undergo some painful experiences so that roots and cold are mere inconveniences instead of insurmountable obstacles. Perhaps Meg will consider throwing you out of the house before next cross season? You can stay on my couch and throw your frustration and rage into training.

gewilli said...

agree so much with the cort and chip comments I gotta post here...

nice list yash...

DRjr said...

Congrats on meeting most of your season goals. I hope you had a good time at NoHo. I enjoyed meeting all you New England Hups in person at that race, and had a great time experiencing east coast 'cross. Next season, one of your goals should be to race out here in the NW. We'll pit for you and everything.

Ron Steers said...

I guess i am an idiot because I like roots in cross races, especially the one that took you out on the last corner in Amesbury. That root prevented you from sprinting past my fat a$$ at the finish.
I must say I am also a little hurt that I did not receive props for my superior lines that I showed you on a couple of courses.
Anyway, I think you should consider doing the Mansfield Hollow race next season, you will love it.

Yash Katsumi said...

Ron. It is true. I hate roots. It is terrible on equipment and is so not smooth. Some would say that it is not tight.

I shall make a special award section for you this morning.

Markie Mark said...

Cort, I was happy to have help with some of your training. I'll have plenty of IPA's this weekend!!

Yash...you da'man!

Matt Simpson said...

Yash - Thanks for all your hard work from the March team camp to your communicay - HUP it UP

RMM said...

CCC concurs about the weight gaining foods, the stress and perhaps the anger (I imagine messy divorce comes with a certain amount of anger, sorry to hear it).

With the proper attention to training, weight control (gain) and psychological conditioning (anger), you will be able to defeat your rivals.

C-BOMB said...

Yash,
Good season bro. Hope you had alot of fun. Hope to see you at Sterling/NBX one of these years. Those are always my best races because people are hanging up/burned out.

Let's do some skiing this winter.