Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Seat Cluster...

After really looking over the Zanconato frameset, I can't imagine not owning a lugged frameset.

When I look at my other bikes with TIG welding, I feel that just that little something is missing, like a Mannekin Pis without his costume.Versus

In my life, I have owned only 5 other lugged framesets.

Bianchi Trofeo
Bianchi Axis
Ciocc SLX 77
Colnago Crystal
Guru Carbonio

Although I do not know of any structural benefit to have lugs, I do feel that they help complete the look of any frameset.

When I was in College, I saved up for about 6 months to buy a Ryffranck. I read about how he uses silve brazing on all of his lugs, and how they are so fricking tight and perfect that you can pour a cup of water in the tubing but water will never seep out from under the lugs. I read a frame builder report about him in Bicyclist magazine. I wonder if he is still building bikes???

8 comments:

RMM said...

This is classic Katsumi photography...great.

Will you be able to wear the HUP colors with the orange frame, won't that clash?

Yash Katsumi said...

They are making me a special kit for when I ride this bike.

Matt Simpson said...

Beautiful YK...beautiful....(tearing up)

Yash Katsumi said...

Wait till you see it in person.

In some light it looks brown(Thus the brown headset) and in other light it looks like the frame is on fire, like bright orange.

RMM said...

Your fans would like Katsumi-Style pictures of:

BB Shell
Fork Crown
Rear Dropouts

Also, please remember to document the buildup, as we are eagerly awaiting gratuitous closeups of carefully chosen componentry.

You may also get a gram scale so that you can tell your readers the weight of each component.

Yash Katsumi said...

Those requests will be taken into account tonight.

There will be a couple of unconventional items, like Mini V-brakes for the forks to minimize brake chatter and also to rid the cable hanger, which I detest, not only for aesthetic reasons, but also functionally.

Yash Katsumi said...

God damn you McKitrick, did you not see my earlier post? That is 100% fork crown.

Also, I am not concerned with weight. I assume the bike will come in around 18.5 pounds?

Only if I owned your Edge wheels.

RMM said...

The Edge wheels will be for sale soon enough.
You can have first shot at them.